Ways that we should do....

WAYS THAT WE SHOULD DO.....

Let go of the past & go for the future, confidently to the direction of your dreams. The cause of all our personal problems and nearly all the problems of the world can summed up in a single sentence: Human life is very deep, and our modern dominant lifestyle if not.

Grace means more than gifts. In grace something is transcended, once and for all overcome. Grace happens in spite of something; it happens in spite of separateness and alienation. Grace means that life is once again united with life, self is reconciled with self. Grace means accepting the abandoned one. Grace transforms fate into a meaningful vocation. It transforms guilt to trust and courage. The word grace has something triumphant in it.

Live the life you imagined. LIVING A LIFE OF EXTRAORDINARY!!!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Attachment @ Shuqun Primary

Dates of the event is not accordingly because only now I have the time to blog about the event. Best right? Yup I know.

Date: 1st March 2011 - 3rd March 2011

Reflection on Friends for LIFE
First thing, I think I will need to clarify what exactly is Friends for LIFE? This is actually a culture exchange program for Hong Kong students (TMMs) and Shuqun students. It is usually over a period of 4 days. This program mostly is for Shuqun Primary 4 students to get to know more about the culture of the world and to allow TMMs students to know more about the culture of Singapore which is different from theirs.

Day 1: Bouldering Wall
On the first day, they have the usual ice-breaking games and deinhibitisers which to break down barriers between Shuqun students and TMMs students. Most of Shuqun students are able to break the ice and get to know their buddies but a minority of TMMs students are unable to step out of their comfort zone to communicate with their buddies especially when the main language conversation between Shuqun students and TMMs students is English.

After lunch, I helped out with Mr. Lau with bouldering. It was suppose to be an easy task as there was no much danger that can be involve in the process. But when the activity started, it proved me wrong. There was a major problem which was to get the students of TMMs to focus. This is simply tough as most of them are more interested in the flying fox which is up at third stories and is right behind the bouldering wall. But with the experience of Mr. Lau, we managed to get all the students of TMMs to try and have Shuqun students to support their buddies. That is with self efficacy theory. Mr. Lau told me that because there is way too much distraction and that flying fox is definitely more interesting than bouldering, we need to make use of their emotional arousal to get their attention.

I was thinking with just verbal persuasion or vicarious experiences will get their attention to try out. But I was proved wrong again with the distraction of watching their friends flying pass and landing, it is impossible to get them to focus on the bouldering wall. Mr. Lau told me that if we are able to turn their focus to something that other group do not have, we will be able to get them to try it out. It is by emotional arousal we can get their attention. All the other stations do not have any present but for our bouldering wall, we have small gifts that bear Shuqun logo. In this way, we got TMMs students to try and have their buddies (Shuqun) to help.

But there were other dangers around, which most of the students are not aware of. I myself was not aware of until all the activities have been going on for 5 – 10 minutes. The flying fox rope produces friction which means that it produces heat which might result in rope burn if the students are too close to the rope. Most of the student from Shuqun knows about the danger so they do not touch or even to hold the rope. But TMMs do not know about the danger that is being involved that they have to be told many times not to do so. I am unsure if it is because of language barrier or was my English pronunciation that bad that they are unable to understand me. But I was reconfirmed by TMMs teachers that most of their students have a hard time in mastering English so there could be a chance that they do not understand.

There was an incident that I felt that TMMs teachers should be more aware of the danger of bouldering walls and low elements. When Mr. Lau knows that there was no more group coming and a few of our teachers are interested in trying out flying fox, I was left in charge of two stations which I decided to close bouldering station and focus on flying fox. Next thing I know TMMs students were all climbing the bouldering walls all at one go. It is dangerous as the second person was climbing so close to the first person that if the first person let go, there is a high chance that the second person will be injured.

Since I was put in charge as of that two stations and that I have decided to close bouldering wall to help those teachers that are doing flying fox, I have to inform TMMs teachers that the bouldering wall is closed and that the rest of the low elements are originally out of bound so if any injuries happen after I have tell them, Shuqun will not be responsible for it.

I am pondering about how to solve the issue on ensuring safety of the students. If we place a red tape to mark the place where the students can sit or to stay in, could it reduce the injuries from unsupervised play? It is a question that I am thinking as I felt that if this is minimize then student will have no possibility of having heat burn.

Oh well, day one ended with no injuries and most of the students have fun and that those that are at bouldering wall tried climbing it.

Day 2: Field Trip to Chinatown and Little India

Day two, it is an outdoor field trip for both TMMs and Shuqun students. The objective for Chinatown, it is to understand the different religions that co-exist in one place and for Little India; it is to learn about Henna art. I was in charge of ensuring that all group arrived at Chinatown on time and go off to Little India or going back to Shuqun at the exact time.

For the first part of the day, it was quite alright for them to arrive early or on time. According to the time slot that was given by TMMs, I was expecting a few groups to reach to leave for Little India. Unexpectedly, I found out from Shuqun teachers that they have a different schedule from the one that is given by TMMs. I get to know only during the transition period, and realized that the interchange was the crowded with at least 9 groups, with 6 groups are queuing up to get their tickets to travel to Little India.

I was wondering if the timing for both schools was to be the same then the interchange might not be so crowded. Not just timing issue. There is a problem in conveying message to from overall-in-charge to checkpoint IC. I was suppose to head over to Little India after the first group leave from Chinatown, but when I was there, the other checkpoint IC was still there and then we realized that message was not passed down to me. I guessed that just by attending briefing talks do not allow us the checkpoint IC to be clear of what we are doing. So maybe we should have a checkpoint meeting so that we can be clear.

Third Day: Jurong Bird Park

I was to follow them as a safety officer, but due to lack of staff, I was given a role of facilitating. Looking at the map, I was unsure of how the whole event was going to turn out. Even though I was taught that I should be prepared for all sort of event. But because I was a safety officer, I did not prepare anything. When I am suddenly switched, I was prepared with neither food nor water.

On the journey, I was to guide them through the various attractions and ensure that they complete their booklet. But as the day wears on, I was asked by Shuqun students if they can buy food even though bread and cakes were given to them. I asked TMMs students if they are hungry, they say not. I pondered over it and realized that it was the different timing of break that affects it. At the 9.25am, Shuqun students are to have their meal while TMMs students are to have theirs at 10.45am. This is an hour different that affects the rate of hunger.

Most of Shuqun students felt tired and lethargic after the Penguin expedition when they know that they need to walk a long distance to Lori Loft. I have to keep encouraging them to keep moving on. By directing their hunger to completing feeding at Lori Loft, allows them to stays focus and quickly complete their task. I guess if I was told about my role before hand, I would have prepared food for the group and that the students will be able to focus better. But at the same time I felt that the school could inform their students to bring a few of tidbits/biscuits/bread so that if they are hungry they can still have food to munch on.

Day 4: Sending off

I was not involved but that is one of the thing that Shuqun students have to do. They are to send TMMs student off at airport.

Conclusion:

I guess overall I was quite prepared for the unexpected only Jurong Bird Park just stunned me. I felt that from this journey I learnt that communication with students and teachers are the key thing to succeed in completing the task that is on hand. If our communication system breaks down, there is a higher chance that the whole event will fail even though I am in charge of a minor role most of the time in the journey.

That is just the first event for my attachment....

No comments:

Post a Comment